Carrot cake with good cream cheese frosting is my all time favourite! Sharing with you a simple carrot cake recipe made with unrefined ingredients like wheat flour, jaggery and coconut oil. Yes! Coconut oil and you will not be able to tell the difference. Coconut oil works great in baking. Here is an old post on the wonders of coconut oil. This recipe calls for 6-8 servings. It is advisable to use powdered jaggery as it will be easier to mix. You can make this in one individual pan or bake it in two separate ones and stack them on top of each other like the way I have done. If you don’t want to use cream cheese, you could use a combination of cream cheese with hung yogurt or cashew butter or any nut butter that you like to use for frosting.
250 gms whole wheat flour
125 gms grated carrot
150 ml coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of rock salt
1 tub cream cheese (Britannia)
1-2tbs melted jaggery (melt jaggery with 1 tbs of water & allow it to cool before mixing it with cream cheese)
- Measure and mix all the dry ingredients. Keep aside.
- Measure and mix oil with jaggery.
- Add egg one at a time to the sugar and oil mixture. Beat lightly until well incorporated.
- Mix the dry and the wet ingredients slowly until well combined.
- Pour it in the desired greased dish.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, set at 180 degree centigrade for about 30-40 minutes or depending on your oven settings.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with your favourite glaze or topping, garnished with some walnuts and cacao nibs.