This is one of my favourite chocolate cake and I think I have made this numerous times with different flours like jowar, bajra, foxtail millet flour, amaranth etc. I usually make this cake without any frosting but today, I wanted to be a little experimental. The combination of almond meal and any grain or seed flour is a sure match! The frosting recipe uses only two ingredients and is so easy to make. Also, please excuse my frosting skills 🙂
Locally made chocolates are now available in India and bean to bar concept is catching up. However, in terms of pricing they may seem similar or more than the imported chocolate but the comforting fact is that they are made locally and you can be sure of the manufacturing date. I’ve been using some of the local brands for chocolate like Cocoacraft, Mii Spezial, Earth Loaf and Mason & Co. However, Earth loaf & Mason are handcrafted artisan chocolates and are expensive to use in baking.
Ingredients For Cake:
100 gms Chocolate (52%), chopped into pieces
100 gms butter
100 gms raw sugar
30 gms amaranth flour (you can use any millet flours)
35 gms almond meal
3 whole eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
Ingredients for Frosting:
150 gms chocolate (52%), chopped into pieces
100 gms butter
Note: I’ve used 13cm dia pan, 3 nos and sliced the cake into 6 pieces. You can also use 18cm dia pan for a single cake and frost accordingly.
- Measure chocolate, butter & sugar in a bowl and melt in a double boiler or microwave for 1 minute.
- Measure all the dry ingredients and keep aside.
- Break eggs in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the eggs and beat until well incorporated.
- Mix the wet and the dry ingredients slowly. Pour this mixture in a pan lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Bake for 35 minutes @180degree centigrade in a pre-heated oven.
- Check for doneness by inserting a tooth pick.
- Allow it to cool on a wire rack or refrigerate for a few hours before frosting.
- Slice the cake into halve and keep it aside.
- Melt chocolate & butter in a bowl. Refrigerate after cooling for 2 hours.
- Remove the frosting from refrigerator. Beat the frosting until nice and fluffy.
- Frost the cake as per your liking and garnish with sprinklers, nuts or strawberries.